Monday, July 12, 2004

Fun with balloons.

At work today, a colleague was attempting to blow up a ballon, inside a second inflated ballon - this he successfully achieved, and the resulting ballon in a ballon was a sight to behold. I was impressed, so challenged him to a second, harder task.

In my desk I have a load of party poppers left over from Christmas. I thought it might be interesting to see if we could make a party popper go off inside an inflated balloon. I made the challenge and with a gleam in his eye, the challenge was accepted.

What is the best colour balloon to use for this? I'm not sure, but he chose pink. The basic approach was to try and get the mouth of the balloon around the rim of the popper and then try and get the whole thing in, with just the string trailing out. Then the balloon could be inflated, the mouth secured and then we (well, he) would just pull the string and... bang! What actually happened was that the first balloon ripped as it was being applied.

Balloon two was more successful, and it was anchored securely onto the popper. What then proved harder was getting any air in at the same time. I'm sure I could have done it, but it wasn't my challenge! Eventually the inflation attempt was abandoned and we decided just to let it off anyway. I retreated to a safe distance.

The string was pulled and.... pfft. The tinniest most pathetic pop sound. On closer inspection the card circle that holds the streamers in had not come out of the popper properly, as it was severly impeded by the rubber. Then the whole thing started to give off a reasonable amount of smoke. Luckily we hadn't actually managed to set it on fire and the smoke soon stopped.

And that was that.

No comments: