Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Local band seeks electricity

Monday night we went to a local pub (The Black Swan, one of the most haunted in York, allegedly) to see Drew's new band, Motu One, play a short acoustic set. Here's the man himself and a bassist on a stool.



Note the way that they appear to be playing in a medieval banqueting room, complete with tapestries. You can't see it in the photo, but there's a glass of mead down by the base of the mike stand. Have you ever had mead? I have. Didn't like it much.

The minstrels played maybe six songs, sounded pretty good to me.

During the band's previous incarnation (makes them sound like Spinal Tap...), I once went round the centre of York handing out flyers for a gig they were supporting at to bemused passers by. I don't think I was very good at it, but I'll try anything once! At the very least it's another one to add to my list of things I'm not very good at.

"Can I interest you in the flyer for the most excellent band 'Bull Moose Jackson Junior'?"
"Who?"
"'Bull Moose Jackson Junior' - They are a local band of some prodigous talents"
"Never heard of them"
"Then why not come along and witness this soon to be legendary performance?"
"Is it free?"
"No, it will cost you maybe four english pounds with this flyer, and there are some other bands on as well."
"Four pounds? Are you mad? Piss off!"

That's how I'd like to remember it anyway. In reality I think I just kind of waved the flyers in people's general direction and hoped they'd take one to make me go away.

No comments: