Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The Crack Of Dawn

For the last five (working) days I've been doing something which seems odd even to me. I've been in work at around a quarter past seven in the morning rather than my normal nine o'clock. To do this, I've obviously had to get up earlier than normal but this hasn't actually been too hard. As long as I can hit the snooze button a couple of times I don't really mind what time the alarm actually goes off. I get the illusion of having had a lie in.

It's very quiet in work at that time in the morning - mainly because most sane people are still in bed pressing their snooze buttons. The quiet is nice though. A quiet office is an office in which I can sit around and listen to some tunes whilst having a bit of a think, tidying my inbox or just drinking coffee.

It's also saving me a small amount of money since the in-work cafe doesn't open that early. Whereas I'd normally buy a (Regular Black) coffee on the way in at nine, I can't do this at the early time. 85p saved straight off. It's like having a pay rise! So I have to get coffee from the machine instead which although not as nice, is at least free (and it's still better than instant coffee).

Early mornings are ideal times to return phone calls to people you don't really want to talk to. You know that they won't be there and so it's safe to call them. You can leave the phone ringing for a bit and then hang up and not have to worry about it any more because you've done the thing you had to do which was call back. It's hardly your fault that the other person isn't there to pick up the phone.

I don't know how long I'll keep this up for. I'm surprised I've managed five days. Perhaps I'll wake up one morning with my sanity back. Or perhaps my alarm will do the thing it sometimes does to annoy me: ie not going off.

In the meantime, I'll see you at seven (or just after).

2 comments:

Martin said...

But, but, but ...

Why?!

Cheers

Lint said...

You know, that's a fair question. Why? Why indeed?