Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Paint it black (except we weren't allowed to)

Today myself and some work guys did some school painting. Like any good makeover, I've got a before and after photo. If I'd been thinking properly I might have photoed the whole room rather than just a corner:

Before:
Before

After:
After

I think we actually did a pretty good job of the whole thing. The headmaster was taking on a pretty big risk by taking on twenty five odd people who may or may not have painted a wall in their lives before - we could have accidentally done the whole thing purple or something. Not sure how we'd have done that with a lot of light coloured paints but it still must have been a risk that the head could have nightmares about.

But we didn't f**k things up too much and at the end when we looked round the school, I think we all felt that we had spent the day doing something worthwhile and that we had dramatically improved the look of the school. Go us.

We managed to finish all the painting of the school an hour ahead of schedule. This, really annoyingly (for me anyway) left time for PE. We headed out onto the field at the back for a game of football. I think the last time I played football (soccer, Americans) was probably at school. And I didn't like it then. I just don't see the point of it. I understand the rules and the aims and the goals, but I just don't see the point of it. What is really going on?

Two totally arbitrary teams of people run around with a ball and sometimes make it go where they want (meanwhile I occasionally kick it in a random direction or sometimes miss entirely) whilst shouting random things like "Time!" or "Man On". And regularly, "Well played, X" where X is a person who may have just made a good kick, or more likely has just fallen over or kicked the ball off the pitch.

It's just a waste of good time that I could use to read a book or have a glass of wine or both.

We played actuaries against accountants. We actuaries won. At one point, I brilliantly tackled the best member of the accountants to then set up a neat goal. That may be how it looked to others. I'm fairly sure I just tripped or something. At another point I was in goal for a bit and amused myself by seeing how much I could move the goalposts (t-shirts) without anyone noticing. I did about a foot before I let a goal in (wasn't paying attention, was distracted whilst playing with my phone) and was made to go back into the thick of it.

Stupid game, but at least we beat the accountants.

2 comments:

Chip said...

It looks like not only did you paint the room, you've also painted a new view out of the window, including a tree that wasn't there before.

asyl076 said...

Spoooooky.

I've always loved playing soccer (football, world).