Thursday, August 11, 2005

Dance me to the end of The Knavesmire

I've been dancing again tonight, but not at my usual Monday night venue. Tonight I haven't been learning to dance... I've been teaching. A couple of friends who are getting married (to each other) in a few weeks want to learn the waltz as a dance they might possibly do as their first post-wedding dinner dance. Unfortunately, they missed the relevant lessons. I, luckily, am a master of the waltz (that's "master" as in "someone who vaguely can count to three") and so myself and my dancing partner agreed to help them out.

Sadly, neither of us own a ballroom. Or a large garden. Or even a small garden. This limts the places in which we might dance to:

a) Car parks
b) Town squares
c) Public grassy spaces

Since a) is clearly unsafe and b) would leave us open to abuse and attack from chavs and pensioners, we opted for option c). Specifically, the grassy area by The Knavesmire. I'd like to call it a grassy knoll, but it was fairly flat and had no true knoll-like qualities so I'll not call it that. We'd hoped it might be fairly quiet there, and we did indeed find a quiet corner where the only people who could see us were:

1) Passing cyclists
2) Passing joggers
3) Passing pedestrians
4) The guys playing five-a-side football (soccer, Americans) nearby
5) The people in the adjacent houses if they looked out of their gardens or upper storey windows
6) The people sitting on the grassy bank
7) The two guys sitting in a van

So fairly secluded then. I did feel a little self-conscious at first, since we must basically have looked ridiculous. But it's easy to get used to anything. And I don't think any of the people who could see us would have known me in any case. And when you're as fabulous as me, who cares who sees you?!

Our teaching seemed to work well enough. We got the guys up to a basic waltz movement which will enable them to progress up and down any dancefloor. It won't yet let them switch from up to down yet, but future lessons will remedy that.

The main thing we were lacking was any music. Two reasons for this: we didn't have anything to play music on, and we were seriously failing to think of any ballroom waltz tempo songs that any of us would have on CD (suggestions welcome here). I'm sure there must be loads. Instead we had to resort to counting 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3... and so on. Effective, but lacking imagination.

In case any of you were wondering, I didn't approach this task without having imbibed a glass of wine beforehand over dinner.

1 comment:

Sarum said...

You don't approach much without consuming wine beforehand Lint...