Monday, July 31, 2006

Greenwich Drunktime

I've been down to London this weekend for a party hosted by some of my girlfriend's friends from Scotland (who are not there any more). We started off with beers in Greenwich Park - quite a nice place but could do with better signposting to the toilets. Whilst on a search for said facilities I found myself up by the Royal Observatory - on top of a hill with a good view of Docklands and The City.



I realised, unexpectedly, that I'd been there before on a school trip as a kid. Back then the world was a different place and I'm not sure if Canary Wharf was even built then, never mind yer Millennium Dome. It wasn't exactly all fields, but it was definitely less built up. The observatory didn't seem to have changed much as far as I could remember. There were less of my teachers around. And I'd had more beer.

We had a game of rounders in the park (on Saturday, not when I was a kid). Annoyingly I managed to get picked last. But I'm used to that. I got my own back by getting a fantastic catch near the start and hence putting the whole other team out. They still thwapped us overall, mind. But at least I could hold my head up.

Later on it was Karaoke but not in the park as that would have been hard to arrange logistically. I did a few renditions. McFly's All About You was particularly memorable.

Travelling home the next day we had first class tickets (bought cheaply in advance, natch). There was a man in the carriage that I clocked straight away upon entry - he looked just like Richard Herring. I wanted to say "Hello. Are you Richard Herring?" to check, but the conversation would have stalled after that. I wouldn't have really wanted it to end up as a CNPS tip swapping session. I therefore never found out if it was him or not and maybe now I never will. But if you ever come across this, Mr H and you were travelling up from London on the 1645 from Kings Cross on the 30th July 2006, could you drop me an email to confirm? It would put my mind at rest. Alternatively if you are not Richard Herring but you were on the train and a man who looked like me was staring at you a bit, then drop me a line too. It would also put my mind at rest. And maybe I could put you in touch with a look-a-likes agency (I'm sure the demand for Herring-a-likes never ceases to peak). Thanks!

No comments: