Monday, July 03, 2006

Bath problems

There's a problem with my bath.

Or a design flaw.

Imagine I'm running a bath (I'm wearing still some clothes, so it's not pervy or anything). I've turned on the water. It's a bit hot so I add some cold into the mix. Then I open the bottle of bath bubbles and add some in. Bubbles start to rise.

I leave the room and go and do something else - make a cup of tea, open some wine, or take off the rest of my clothes (but it's dark so it's still not pervy). I come back to the bath later and the bubbles have risen high, so high.

But something's wrong. Although the bubbles are high, the water is not. There is less water than there should be... because the plug is out. And not due to me forgetting to insert it. Oh no. It's because there's a problem with my bath.

Or a design flaw.

The water comes out so fast. The plughole is beneath. Fast water on to a plug can make the plug bounce out of its socket. And a plug once out will stay out. If this happens whilst I'm not looking, water starts to drain and if it's draining at a faster rate than it's leaving the tap, the water level will no longer rise, it will start to fall.

And this is what happened to me yesterday. For the second time.

It's really f**king annoying. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to pick these things up in testing... All it would take is a couple of tests and it'd be like: "Derek! Derek! Come quickly! There's a problem with this bath design! Outflow exceeds inflow! We need to move the inflow to be disaligned from the outflow! Now!!!". (Engineers are very excitable in my head...)

And then they'd go back to the proverbial drawing board and redesign the flows and the holes and I'd be able to get naked whilst running a bath without having to worry about everything draining away like so much wasted time. But not in a pervy way.

1 comment:

Tsuki said...

you could:
get a new bath
change the taps to have a wider nozzle (same flow, less concentrated = less pressure on plug)
get a different plug - perhaps a heavier one made of metal (I jest not)
run the bath slowly until there's enough water to stop the plug popping out.
Bathe at someone else's house (not an offer)