Thursday, February 16, 2006

Great North Run: Entered!

After failing to secure a place in The Great North Run through either the preliminary or main ballots, I had no choice but to throw myself at the mercy of charity. On Tuesday morning I phoned Cancer Research UK and pleaded with them to let me have one of their guaranteed places. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do and my powers of persuasion were tested to the hilt:

CR-UK: Hello, Cancer Reserch UK running line - how can we help you?
Me: I'm after a place in the Great North Run.
CR-UK: OK, we have some guaranteed places left.
Me: Excellent.
CR-UK: Will you be able to raise at least £400 for us?
Me: Yes, that should be no problem.
CR-UK: OK, let's just take your details then.
etc

See, really hard! I didn't bother to mention the whole Run-a-thon 500 thing though. I thought it would just confuse matters. I'm sure they won't mind that I'm planning to do an extra 487 miles more than they are expecting me to.

They're going to send me a t-shirt with my name on it. That's like the coolest thing ever. Don't expect I'll wear it though.

No comments: