Friday, February 24, 2006

Columbia records are stupid

After a day of not doing that much but still seeming quite busy, it's finally time to go skiing. I'm leaving on a jet plane. Well, technically, I'm leaving on a taxi, a minibus, a jet plane and a bus. But you get the picture.

My bags are packed, the only things I have left to put in are things like phone chargers, iPods and last minute rememberances of which I hope there will not be too many. It's always tricky, when going somewhere for the first time, to know whether or not you have packed all the right sorts of things. I think I'll be ok (or at the very least, warm).

On a completely unrelated note, I'd like to make a complaint about Neil Diamond's record label, Columbia. He has a new album out called 12 Songs. An appropriate title because it has 12 songs on it. This is two more than Leonard Cohen managed on his last album, Ten New Songs - I'm not sure if the two of them are engaged in some kind of song counting competition. If so, Neil's in the lead.

But there's a problem. If you look on the back of the CD, it lists 12 songs. They are numbered 1 to 12. And then it says below "with two additional songs" and lists two more without numbers! Outrageous. I'm not sure how they get away with this madness. The way I see it is that if you're going to have an album called 12 songs, it should have 12 songs on it. Not eleven. Not thirteen, and certainly not f***ing 14! They're not even "bonus songs". They're additional ones. Implying you should do some addition and add 12 and 2 to get... 14.

If they really, really had to put the two extra tracks on, why not call the album "14 songs" or "12 songs plus 2 additional songs". At least that would be honest.

F***wits.

I've a good mind to write to them. Maybe I will when I get back home.

So anyway, I'm off and it's likely to be quiet round here for a week or so. See you all soon!

1 comment:

Agent 31 said...

I had the same mental observation.

Sort of the same way I felt when the Bloodhound Gang released "Hooray for Boobies" without a tit in the bunch.