Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Wombles: Real or Made-Up? Discuss...

I spent some time today explaining to a colleague that the Wombles (of Wimbledon Common), were not based on any real life animal called a womble, but were in fact just... Wombles.

I thought most people knew this. I don't recall ever seeing David Attenborough ever commentating on some real natural wombles in nature, mating, fighting and hibernating (and possibly tidying their local area). It is hard to mistake the TV programme, The Wombles, for a natural history programme because it is narrated by Bernard Cribbens and not David Attenborough. That should be a dead giveaway.

It was, however, an entertaining conversation. I laughed much and long. I'm not sure I convinced her 100% though that there are no real wombles out in the wild.

No comments: