Thursday, March 16, 2006

Star Turn

I went to the Golden Lion last night (in a relatively unplanned way) to see Drew playing his guitar in their "Turn of the Year" competition. Four acts on, and all had got friends down to vote for them at the end. I think there may have been some normal voters there too, to be swayed by the actual quality of the music rather than pure loyalty.

Drew won the audience's vote, but not the judges' vote. I think this means he still gets through to the next round and his dream of being "Turn of the Year" is still alive. I'm not sure whether or not he really does dream of this or not. I'd like to think he does. When he met people he'd be able to say "Hi, I'm Drew. Believe it or not, I was Turn of the Year in 2006" and they'd be impressed by that fine award.

His main problem at the moment is being told by people that they really liked the cover versions that he's played. Recently for example, someone particularly liked his Johnny Cash number. I, myself told him a few months ago that I enjoyed the Boo Hewardine song that he played. Last night a girl I was with said she very much appreciated the two covers he played in the middle of the set.

The only problem is that not one of these have actually been covers - they're all originals. He's now not sure whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. I'm not sure either but I think it's quite funny.

One of the other turns did a cover of Sleazy Bed Track by The Bluetones. That definitely was a cover. It was good, but not as good as the orignal.

No comments: