Monday, February 18, 2008

Various Vegetables

I've discovered a new vegetable that I like - asparagus.

I think I must have somehow avoided it all my life, certainly until last week I don't recall actively eating any. But we got some mini(ish) ones from M&S last week and I fried them up and they were delicious. So at Sainsburys we bought some normal size ones and fried them and they were delicious too!

I think they are perhaps the single vegetable best suited for the frying pan.

Apart possibly from Onions.

I wonder if there are other common vegetables out there that I've never given any of my time to but that would reward me if I did? For the record, the following is a list of vegetables I know I've had. I've had a couple of ciders so I may forget a few. And I may or may not include several so-called salad-vegetables.

Here we go:

Potato, Leek, Onion, Asparagus, Mange Tout, Pea, Swede, Carrot, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Runner Bean, Misc. Other Beans, Broccolli, Baby Cabbage, Sprout, Bean Sprout, Baby Carrot, Red Onion, Red Cabbage, Sweet Potato, Parsnip, Tomato (don't even think it!), Lettuce, Cucumber, Radish, Spinach, Okra, Celery, Celeriac, Fennel, Sugar Snap Peas... I'm out.

Maybe a good challenge would be to eat ten new vegetables....?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

But asparagus makes your wee smell funny. Be careful.

Lint said...

But so does cider. And cider is beautiful.

And at least now I know what the fabled asparagus wee-smell smells like!