Sunday, March 25, 2007

Spring Forwards...

Last night we went into town to eat at the new Strada that's opened up. This decision was in no way influenced by the fact that I had received a voucher for a free bottle of wine there. It's a nice enough looking place - smart and modern and the room seems to be shaped in a very similar way to Tuscany Pizza.

Food was mostly good, though one of the fish had a bit too much skin on it.

York itself seemed to be unusually full of idiots though. Saturday nights are normally a bit leary, especially around Micklegate, but it seemed worse than normal this week. Loads of stag and hen nights, and random drunks wandering around shouting at people and things. I'm not sure what had led to this increase - one suggestion was that there are a lot of people getting married at Easter, which is soon (unless the idiot church moves it again).

I think it may have had more to do with the clocks going forward and the fact that this had fallen on a Saturday night this year. I think that when people realised that they would have a hour's less drinking time after midnight, they would have chosen to start drinking earlier. This meant then that at half eight they were actually half nine drunk.

I, myself, wasn't planning to drink after midnight (cos I turn into a Gremlin) and so I was not overtly affected by the change. Except for the hour less of Sunday that I have today.

1 comment:

Chip said...

Out of interest, when doesn't the clock change fall on a Saturday night?