Sunday, February 18, 2007

The Sights of Oxford

I went down to Oxford this weekend to visit my sister, BiL and the Nephs. Never having been there before, I wanted to have a look around (even though Oxford is officially the enemy). It was probably not quite as nice as I expected... I was expecting something more like Cambridge, but in fact it's more like any old small city with a few older buildings in among the newer ones. Maybe if you bother to go inside the colleges it's more interesting, but to me these days, one college is much like another.

The main hobbies in Oxford are rugby and sword-fighting. In the following picture, you can see people participating in both of these activities. I didn't get too close in case a blade were to go astray and nick me.

Oxford Sword-Fighting

The next picture is particularly exciting and I think really captures the essence of the town. It shows three tramps sleeping on benches in a graveyard:

Oxford Tramps

We spent the afternoon having a wander around and then headed back home. In the evening, I took a two-year old to the off-license, had some nice tea and then drank beer, cider and port, ate some 100% cocoa chocolate and some ginger Wensleydale. The cheese was very good indeed...

Incidentally, anyone who says that I only went down there because I knew that they had recorded Tuesday's Life on Mars, which I had forgotten to do, is completely wrong. :-)

2 comments:

Chip said...

Is that a new series of Life on Mars? Time to get BitTorrent out then...

Lint said...

Yep, series 2 began last week.