Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Multiple Virgins

My broadband has been provided by Virgin since I first got it many years ago. The service has always been fine and I've never had any problems. Following the recent change in the regulations for people providing these things, Virgin have merged with NTL (I think) and now provide land phones and stuff like that.

I rarely use my landline, so my cost of calls is generally close to zero. However, by switching my main call provider from BT to Virgin, I was able to get cheaper broadband. No extra cost on my BT bill (it'll just be line rental I think) and a reduced monthly broadband cost was something of a no-brainer so I changed over.

I then got an email from Virgin confirming I had done this. This was fine because I had. Then, over the next six hours and fifty-five minutes, I got four more emails from Virgin, all identical to the first one. This was odd, but also fine. Then I got a letter from BT saying I had done it. Which was also fine because I had done it.

Then, today I got five (count 'em!) letters from Virgin telling me when the new phone service would be active. This was less fine since it seemed like a bit of a waste. They all had exactly the same info on, so at least I have no contradictory information to deal with. Five emails and letters seems a little excessive though.

I figured that as long as they don't actually charge me five times then I'll be ok. But when I checked my credit card just now I found they had charged me once only, but for £1 less than I expected (just £13.99). So now I'm a bit confused.

Guess I shouldn't complain as long as it all works. Touch wood.

2 comments:

Chip said...

Happens from time to time - usually it's that either your e-mail program or their server has got slightly confused when exchanging their "I've got this e-mail now, you can delete it off your records" conversation that they do, and that step hasn't happened, so the old e-mail was never deleted from the server, and is still there next time you check your mail.

Lint said...

I can see how that sort of thing might generate several emails, but I don't think it explains the five physical letters ...