Sunday, July 08, 2007

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I first read Alan Moore's Watchmen many years ago, probably when I was still at school. Not sure whether I borrowed it from a friend or from the library, either way I gave it back and so have never been able to (trivially) re-read it.

I bought it from a shop a few weeks back and now have re-read it. It's easily as good as I remember it (which is very). The story concerns a group of old super-heroes who are now mostly in retirement after a law was passed which made them illegal. Most of them don't have actual super-powers, they're more like Batman than Superman. After one of them is killed some stuff happens. No spoilers here!

It's well worth reading. Especially if you're even vaguely a fan of superheroes and/or comics.

It's supposed to be being made into a film, but this has been true since the original comics came out twenty years ago so I'm not overly optimistic of it happening. The comic version is actually quite filmic in style and I would have thought it would convert to celluloid quite easily. That's probably why I'm an actuary not a film director.

No comments: