Tuesday, June 26, 2007

A Surprising Find!

I went running this evening after work (oh god, it's hard at the moment. I'm so crap. I wish the Great North Run could be postponed like the York Race For Life has been. Lucky buggers) and avoided the river area due to the flooding.

I went up the Tadcaster Road then turned off to head over the grassy bit and through the pedestrian tunnel that goes under the railway. But then I had one of my moments and I spied a path I'd never used before heading off to the left. I decided to follow it. In general, I wouldn't recommend that kind of thing, especially if you're likely to get tired and be really annoyed if you have to retrace your steps.

I was luckyish and despite having to randomly choose a few turnings when I found myself in unfamiliar roads, I eventually stumbled across a rather pleasant secluded lake. It was a surprise indeed! I'd wager that the majority of people in York have no idea it exists. There were a couple of fishermen there. They clearly did know it existed.

After the lake I continued on and eventually found myself on St Helen's Road, which was roughly where I'd been headed in the first place. I was glad that in the end I didn't have to retrace my steps as I was likely to get tired and that would have made me really annoyed.

No comments: