Saturday, November 18, 2006

Broken Reception

I used to have really good radio reception in my flat - never any major problems. Then earlier this year, it started to get quite bad and much harder to pick up a clear signal. Radio 1 is particularly patchy. Until last night I didn't have any idea why this had changed. I didn't worry about it too much.

Then, last night at a meeting of our Management Company, someone suggested a reason that sounded very plausible:

It's the bloody Yorkshire Wheel. The large 54 metre high metal wheel is probably acting as some kind of waveguide (no idea what that means) or something to mess up all those radio waves. Other people said they were having trouble with TV too. It seems to vary quite a lot within short distances, but the reception of all these devices is definitely much crapper than before the Wheel came.

I'm not an expert at physics (well, ok, I probably am compared to most of the public, but the finer points of electromagnetism are beyond me. I remember there being a lot of upside down triangles in the equations...) but this theory sounds more than plausible to me. Can anyone give an actual expert opinion here?

And can I sue?

3 comments:

Sarum said...

Remember the experiment where you put a wire mesh between a microwave source and detector to discover that it blocked the waves? I imagine the principle of what is happening here is much the same. The longer the wavelength (such as for TV/Radio waves) the wider the mesh can be and still block (or at least strongly interfere with) the signal.

My TV is fine, and I live practically next door to you. You must just be in what is a very narrow "shadow" behind the wheel.

Someone else can give you the equations and such, I don't remember them...

Tsuki said...

Maybe people are just blaming things that they don't understand. I think it's probably down to there being a witch living near your flat.

Lint said...

Ooooh, a witch! I hadn't thought of that. That would explain all the gingerbread, too!